Chris Yeung Fund
Chris Yeung was a Ballarat boy who attended St Patrick’s College, completing his Year 12 in 1981. In his twenties Chris developed a mental illness which manifested in periods of acute psychosis. Chris battled his illness for decades but in 2015 he chose to end that fight, and we lost him forever.
In spite of his illness, Chris was a much loved son, father, partner,and brother . He was a qualified accountant, a business and home owner, and a caring and generous friend.
Chris understood his illness, and worried about those whom he knew who were struggling with an undiagnosed affliction, and the impact that it would have on their families, especially the children.
Chris’ friends and former school mates from St Pat’s decided that, having mourned their mate, there needed to be a practical response, something to encourage our community to openly discuss men’s mental health.
The Chris Yeung Fund was formed to enable financial, personal, and a holistic support structure for fathers of students from St Patrick’s College Ballarat who may be experiencing a mental health illness that may place their son’s education at risk, and to broaden awareness of men’s mental health within the community.
The Chris Yeung Fund will:
• undertake community education and fund raising initiatives to achieve the purposes as laid out
• operate under the auspices of the St Patrick’s College Foundation
• provide financial information to the Foundation on levels of support provided and income streams for the fund
• be advised by the Deputy Headmaster, Wellbeing of families that meet the prescribed criteria set by the fund steering committee
• provide whatever level of support is required by the families in line with the structure as set by the steering committee
• meet on an agreed timetable to make decisions on candidate families support applications
• operate in consultation with the family of Chris Yeung to ensure that his memory is treated with sensitivity
• ensure that finances raised will be administered through the Foundation and meet the requirements of a charitable fund, and be itemized on The Foundation’s financial ledgers as the Chris Yeung Fund.
The Chris Yeung Fund is only available to boys currently enrolled at The School whose fathers are experiencing a mental health illness, and have had contact with the Deputy Headmaster, Wellbeing from The School and been recommended to the steering committee. Funds could be used for fees, uniform and book list items, camps and excursions, or a combination thereof. Funds also may be used to run education programs that raise awareness of men’s mental health, or assist in the running of future fundraising initiatives.
The Chris Yeung Fund will administer the following process:
• The Deputy Headmaster, Wellbeing, will identify a family who may benefit from financial support and make a recommendation to the Chris Yeung Fund Allocation Sub-Committee
• the Deputy Headmaster, Wellbeing will complete the Chris Yeung Fund application form
• the Allocation Committee will assess the application against the criteria and determine as to its success. The Committee will inform The School as to its determination, and also inform the Foundation as to the amount to be distributed
• the Foundation will supply the Chris Yeung Fund Steering Committee with a quarterly financial statement, or as required
The Chris Yeung Fund will be administered by a Steering Committee consisting of friends of Chris, as well as, the Deputy Headmaster, Wellbeing, a member of the SPC Foundation, and a member of the Yeung family.
Each year the trustees of the Chris Yeung Fund work closely with the College and its Old Collegians Association to organise two major fundraising events.
The annual OCA Golf Day is generally held in the first six months of each calendar year with proceeds being allocated to the fund.
The annual MENtal Brekky is held in October each year in the OCA Pavilion at St Patrick’s College.
How to make a donation to the Chris Yeung Fund:
Donations to the Chris Yeung Fund can be made by Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) to the following bank account (if you require a receipt after making an EFT please then email your contact details to the email address listed below):
Account: St Patrick’s College Ballarat Foundation
Bank: Commonwealth Bank
BSB: 063 507
Account: 1001 2604
Donations can also be made by completing the 2018 Chris Yeung Fund Donation Form.
Please then send a completed form to:
Director of Community Development
St Patrick’s College
Locked Bag 31
Ballarat, Vic, 3350
03 53 311688