Old Boys in the News – October 2021
October 29, 2021
Our Old Boys have been busy, including:
- Congratulations to Old Collegian Barry James (SPC 1947-48, PY1950), the founder of Barry James Smash Repairs, who was recently acknowledged for 75 years of service by the Victorian Automotive Chamber of Commerce. Well done Barry! Barry, who is now aged 89 years, talks about his many years in business in this great story here
- Great to see Dermot Conaughton (SPC 2005-2010) helping to kickstart fundraising efforts for Run For A Cause in this story here
- Fantastic to see former GWS ruckman Tom Downie (SPC 2010-11) will play for Benalla in the Goulburn Valley league while he is expected to spend most of the year at Williamstown in the VFL where Tom played six games in 2021 during the COVID interrupted year. Read more here
- Old Collegian and Australian Hotels Association Victoria president David Canny (SPC 1980-85) reacted strongly to the state government’s change to vaccination dates for the hospitality sector in this story recently, read here
Great to see the big screen will be back at the Ballarat Showgrounds, courtesy of Old Collegians, Showbiz Cinemas group director Chris Jones (SPC 1988-93) and drive-in manager John Bourke (SPC 1967-69, PY1972). To find out when to line up for some popcorn and a drive-in movie, read here. Well done also to Chris, who was also a finalist in the recent Ballarat business excellence awards’ Customer Service Award. Well done Chris and the team!
- Emergency nurse and Old Collegian Josh Walker (SPC 2006-2011) shares what it is like battling on the COVID frontline in this story here
- Meanwhile, fellow health care worker Marcus Hovey (SPC 1984-88, PY1989), who is Ballarat’s COVID ward nurse unit manager, shares his thoughts on the pressures facing hospitals with the easing of restrictions in this story here and here and here
- Fantastic to see these Old Boys Jack Sampi (SPC 2015-2020), Nathan Brown (SPC 2002-06, PY2007) Scott Carlin (SPC 2017-2018), Riley Polkinghorne (SPC 2014-19) and Matthew Johnston (SPC 2009-14) named as some of the best of the best in Victorian community football here and here
- Brothers Will (SPC 2014-19) and Mitch Henderson (SPC 2011-15, PY2016) have re-signed for Dunnstown in 2022 in the Central Highlands FL, read more in this story here
- Great to hear Old Collegian Jason Elshaug (SPC 2001-04, PY2006) has big plans for a new bouldering centre in Ballarat, giving the region’s rock climbing community an indoor venue to train. To read more, click here
- Great to see Old Collegian Mike Whitehead (SPC 1968-71) busy in his role at Ballarat Lyric Theatre promoting the relaunch of their musical production We Will Rock You with restrictions set to ease. To read more, click here
- Wonderful to see Old Collegian Peter Younis (SPC 1968-71) playing such a key role to treat a rare form of cancer. The Port Campbell vet took part in a clinical trial for a cancer drug which has now been approved for use in Australia. To read this great story, click here
- Great to see Tom Bardwell (SPC 2002-07), Nick Moriaty (SPC 2008-13) and Justin Ellis (SPC 2003-07, PY2008) from Ballarat’s hardcore band Nicolas Cage Fighter shortlisted for Best Heavy Act in the Music Victoria Awards. The band is now working on its first album under its new label, which is due to be released early next year. To read more, click here
- Great to see Josh Pegg (SPC 2015-19, PY2020) busy in the classroom in this story here
- Great to chat to Old Collegian Ivan Brecelic (SPC 1982-85, PY1986) who has written 12 books, mostly on travel in South East Asia and has also been a stringer for United Color’s of Benneton magazine, ‘Colors’, covering South East Asia. To find out more about Ivan’s books, click here
- Well done to former Ballarat Football Umpires Association official Callum Leonard (SPC 2003-08) who has been promoted to the offical AFL umpires list for season 2022. Callum is now one of just 25 elite goal umpires around the country who will be called upon for AFL games next season. Great work Callum! To read more, click here
- Great to see Brett Shillito (SPC 1987-92), principal of Yuille Park Community Park, involved in helping getting kids back into the classroom sooner in this story here
- Old Collegian and local auctioneer Matt Edwards (SPC 1999-2004) had a very good day recently with a huge sale in Lake Wendouree in one of the first on-site auctions in Ballarat since lockdown. Read more in this story here
- Great to hear from Kevin Minchinton (SPC 1971-74) who is working as a company director and AFL Integrity Officer. Great work Kevin!
- Great to also hear from Jarrod Rouhan (SPC 1993-98) who is working as a senior digital project manager.
- Well done to the following Old Collegians, whose businesses won categories in the recent Ballarat business excellence awards, including Paul Tudorovic (SPC 1983-88) from The Athlete’s Foot, which won the Customer Service Award and Chris Packer (SPC 1978-83) from Chris Packer & Associates, which was awarded the Professional Service Business Award.
- Great to hear from Jai Shah (SPC 2007-12) who is now living in Kenya and making positive social impacts. Great work Jai!
- Well done to Old Boy Peter Bergman (SPC 2001-06) who was running for charity to raise money for My Room Children’s Cancer Charity recently. Read his story here
- Moorabool Shire Mayor Tom Sullivan (SPC 1965-68, 1970) talks about the shire’s recent snap lockdown in this story here
- Well done to Josh Chatfield (SPC 2017-18) who has been named a VicHealth ambassador for the state health advocacy body’s Future Healthy campaign and is keen to be a good role model for other young people. Read more in this story here
- It was a good day for SPC teacher and footy coach Howard Clark following the Melbourne Demons’ long-awaited AFL grand final win in this story here
- Congratulations, of course, to Old Collegian Tom McDonald (SPC 2010) who was part of Melbourne’s winning AFL premiership side when the Demons beat the Western Bulldogs in the 2021 AFL Grand Final. Tom talks about the victory here, the hardships on his family, nerves and the turnaround in his footy hopes in the lead-up to the grand final showdown here and here
Tom’s very proud family talked about their hopes from their farm, outside of Edenhope, in this story here
- Another overjoyed Demons supporter was Old Boy Denis Costigan (SPC 1961-66) who was decked out in red and blue in the lead-up to the AFL grand final, read more in this story here
- Former Melbourne captain James McDonald (SPC 1989-94) also weighed in on the Demons’ chances after playing 251 games for the red and blue between 1997 and 2010, in this podcast interview here
- Great to see Paul Kochskamper (SPC 1996-2001) working hard to have Ballarat’s First Nations peoples fully vaccinated by Christmas in this story here
- Read this moving tribute to the late Les Dickinson (SPC 1955-58) and his impact on Ballarat business in this story here
- Well done to Old Boys Riley Polkinghorne (SPC 2014-19), Cooper Craig-Peters (SPC 2014-19), Nick Rippon (SPC 2007-12) and Sam James (SPC 2008-13) who finished in the top 10 winning line-up in the Ballarat Football Netball League’s Henderson Medal. Well done also to Cooper for winning the Rookie of the Year and Jacob Lohmann (SPC 2016-18) for winning the Mark of the Year award. Connor Stone (SPC 2012-17) and Simon Butler (SPC 2010-15) were runner-up in the reserves medal count while Jack Sampi (SPC 2015-2020) was a joint winner in the under-19 section and Josh Carlyle-Marks (SPC 2015-2020) finished runner-up. To read more, click here
If you have any news on our Old Collegians, please contact Alumni and Foundation Officer Lorrie Liston via email at firstname.lastname@example.org