Boarding Bulletin Board
April 30, 2021
News around the Boarding Precinct
- During the start of Term 2, we have welcomed four new faces into our Boarding Cohort.
David Ellis joins us as part of our dedicated staff team as a Housemaster. David comes to us with a teaching background and plenty of experience with dealing with male adolescents. David, along with his wife Emily and three sons, Ethan, Oscar and Zayne have settled into our boarding structures and routines and David looks forward to meeting all our boarding family and friends over the coming weeks.
Along with David, we have welcomed three new students into St Patrick’s College Boarding. We would like to welcome Sam (12), Will (10) and Campbell (10) who have all joined us this term and have already settled with enthusiasm within the Boarding Precinct and day school. A huge welcome to Sam, Will and Campbell’s families as well.
This weekend was a busy one as our Boarding Cohort were present at a number of Community led events around Ballarat. On Saturday, 12 Boarding Students volunteered at Walking Off The War Within. Walking Off The War Within is held in memory of Nathan Shanahan, a returned solider and firefighter, and other fallen Service Men and Women who have taken their own lives after battling mental health issues. The Walk is for Emergency Service Personnel, Defence Force Personnel and members of the public to come together to share the burden and march as one.
Nathan was an advocate for mental health and PTSD; sadly, Nathan lost his battle in December 2016. Nathan started Walking Off The War Within, he created the image of a soldier with a shadow on his back and the walks that happen around Australian now are a way that Nathan’s legacy continues.
The walks replicate the walk Nathan completed in April 2015 from Mildura to Adelaide, when he walked over 400 kilometres with a 20+ kilogram pack to raise awareness and funds for PTSD and depression.
We are very proud of the Boarding Students who volunteered at this event.
- On Sunday, the entire Boarding Cohort attended the ANZAC Day Dawn Service, held at the Ballarat Cenotaph in Sturt Street. It was a humbling and moving service that enabled our Boarding Students to reflect on those that had fought for the life we live today. Following from this service, six of our senior Boarding Students returned to assist with the ANZAC Day Commemorative Service at 11am. At each event, our Boarding Students wore their own uniforms with pride and represented the College and their families with honor.
- Congratulations to Brayden (11) who recently represented the College at the prestigious AGSV Golf tournament. AGSV is the Associated Grammar Schools of Victoria and the golf tournament was played at the beautiful Spring Valley Golf Course. Brayden represented St Patrick’s College well and we are all very proud of his efforts.
- Congratulations to Harry (11), Angus (11) and Kye (9) who participated in the Colac Clay Target Shoot this week. Perfect conditions greeted the shooters and each of the Boarders had success with the competition. Well done all.
- Congratulations to Nick (12) and Nathan (10) who have been selected to represent St Patrick’s College at the up-coming Victorian Schools Swimming Championships. This is a wonderful result following the commitment both Nick and Nathan continue to show for this sport.
- Congratulations to all of our Boarding Students who have participated in round one of the BAS Sport program. This term, a number of after-school sports are on offer, including football, basketball, badminton, soccer and hockey.
- As we return to a somewhat normal routine of weekend sport, we are often asked the process for our Boarding Students to visit with friends over the weekend. Friendships outside of the Boarding Precinct are so important for our Boarding Students and are certainly encouraged by the staff. If a Boarding Student would like weekend leave, an email to email@example.com or a phone call to 5222 4414, will start the approval process.
- Wednesday May 5 – Edmund Rice Day – St Pat’s has Talent
- Sunday May 9 – Boarder’s Mother’s Day Mass and Afternoon Tea
- Thursday May 13 – Yr10 One Night of Homelessness
- Wednesday May 19 – SPC Careers Expo
- Sunday May 23 – Boarder’s Reconciliation Mass and Family Dinner