Boarding Bulletin Board
June 23, 2022
by Director of Boarding, Mr Brendon Gilbert
It’s been a jam-packed final three weeks of term. The boarders have represented our community tremendously well over the past three weeks. There have been lots to celebrate. Our boarders have completed their end-of-semester exams, played in various co-curricular finals, attended community events, and are now ready for a well-earned break.
- Ed de Salis – understudy for 12 Angry Man
- Eric Yang – Highest exam score in Japanese and Math Methods
- Beau Tedcastle – selected in the Allies Squad for the 2022 NAB League National Championships
- Jack Ough – represented U16 Vic Country and U19 Pioneers in the NAB League
- Ollie Hannaford – represented U16 Vic Country
- BAS First XVIII Premiers – Luke Smith, Khy Jess, Harry Lawson, Ollie Hannaford
- BAS Second XVIII Premiers – Nathan Louw, Toby Martin, Jack James, Ned Gorman, Liam Farnsworth
- BAS Intermediate Football Premiers – Jack Ough, Ollie Hannaford, Strahan Robinson
- Strahan Robinson – 10 goals in the BAS Intermediate Football Final
- Beau Tedcastle – Coaching the Indigenous Team in the Taatee Shield
- Hugo Delany – Volunteering in various school football matches as coach, umpire, goal umpire and boundary umpire
- Luke Weidemann and Tom Bolger – Volunteering to help at Sunday evening Mass
The boarding community were delighted to welcome one of their own back into the house, albeit very different to 1969. Allan McKinnon, a 1969 graduate and former OCA President, humoured us with his boarding stories from 1966 to 1969. The boarding landscape has changed considerably over the past 50 years. His stories about the food they were served and their accommodation arrangements were indeed character-building and gave our current boarders an appreciation for their boarding experience.
It was wonderful to welcome our boarding fathers and significant males to the Pavilion for the Inaugural Father/Son event. It was a fantastic night with various entertainment options, including trivia and magic. There was lots of socialising, laughing and budding magicians hoping to make a career of tricking others. The highlight of the evening for me was the father and son reflections, a very heartfelt and memorable moment of the night. Thank you to Brayden Purchase, Michael Purchase, Jack James, and Mark James for reflecting beautifully on their father/son relationships.
On behalf of the boarding community, we would like to thank Josh and Barney for their time in the boarding house. They have been with us since the start of the year and have done an incredible job in their GAP Tutor roles. Amazingly, they are only six months older than most of our Year 12 students yet have shown leadership qualities far beyond their years. We will miss their quick-witted humour, wise counsel, and role modelling. We wish them all the best on their adventures back to the U.K and for the next chapter in their lives.
End of term
School finishes at 2:30 pm tomorrow, Friday, June 24. There will be buses taking boarders to the train station throughout the afternoon. The boarding house will close at 5:00 pm and reopen on Monday, July 11 at 5:00 pm.
On behalf of the boarding staff, we wish our boarding community a safe and happy mid-year break.