Boarding Bulletin Board
August 25, 2022
by Director of Boarding, Mr Brendon Gilbert
Dear boarding families,
I hope you enjoyed the circuit breaker weekend with your son at home. For some boys, this was just what they needed; some time to decompress and recharge. For others, spending four days at home with creature comforts made it hard to return to the boarding house and has caused some homesickness. Either way, the boarding house is in good shape as our boys continue to engage in school and community events that keep them busy and productive.
- Little Feet, Big Footprints – Congratulations to Marc Tedcastle, Mikey Raggett, and Cameron Portaminni, who recently spoke about their culture at St Michael’s Primary School in Daylesford. The boys did an outstanding job and should be proud of how they represented themselves, the College and their culture.
- Edward de Salis – Congratulations to Ed on his speech ‘The Price of Time’ at the Purton Oratory Competition. Ed continues to amaze the school and boarding communities with his diverse skill set.
- Eric Yang – Congratulations to Eric on his role in the St Pat’s Debating Team at the recent ACC Debating Competition.
- Congratulations and good luck to the following local football teams that comprise many of our boarders:
- Redan U15, U17, U19
- East U15, U17
- Lake Wendouree U15
- North City U19
- GWV Rebels
- Beau Tedcastle – Congratulations to Beau for being selected to test at the upcoming State AFL draft combine.
- Lincoln Koliba – Congratulations to Lincoln, who recently won the U15 Lake Wendouree Football Club Best and Fairest.
This week the gratitude award goes to Mr O’Connor. Mr O’Connor generously hosted the Year 12 boarders to a BBQ dinner. The Year 12s were very grateful and impressed with Mr O’Connor’s BBQ cooking skills.
We welcome our three new GAP Tutors, Ben Botha and MacGillicuddy from South Africa and Joe Lewis from the UK. We are delighted to have these young men with us and look forward to their influence on our boarding community.
Our Boarding Basketball Team had a convincing win, defeating Ballarat Clarendon 51 to 16. Despite a slow start and each team shooting point for point, the boarders closed out the first half leading 16 to 10. Luke Smith showed the way, scoring a first-half high of 11 points. The second half turned into a demolition as the boarders took control of the game scoring 35 to 6 in the second half. Jack James was instrumental in the second half, scoring 14 points. Most enjoyable was having the boarding cheer squad at the game, providing plenty of encouragement.
End of Term
The school term finishes Friday, September 9, at 3:25 pm, and the boarding house will close at 5:00 pm. We wish the VCE Unit 4 boarders all the best during their trial exams over the holidays as they prepare for their upcoming VCE Exams. Furthermore, we hope our boarding community has a joyous holiday break with loved ones.