Harrie Stephen Seward

August 4, 2015

SEWARD, Harrie Stephen- – – SPC 1897-1898

DoB:- – 26 February 1884, Ballarat

Father:- – Stephen Seward, Craig’s Hotel, Ballarat

Mother:- – Mary Ellen -‘Nellie’, nee Kelleher

Harrie was a boarder at St Patrick’s with his three brothers, Leo (SPC 1898-1903), Joseph Thomas Lawrence (SPC 1900-1904, 1910-1911), and Stephen -‘Steenie’ Aloysius (SPC 1900-1906). Leo did not enlist for service in WWI.

In the College Annual of 1916-1917, there was a touching tribute to Harry [sic] and the Seward brothers –

-‘-¦ dear old Harry, Leo, Tom and Steenie. Harry left the College to enter a Bank, and spent some years in New Zealand. He was always the same true, good, affectionate boy. When he returned occasionally to Ballarat for a short holiday, he never failed to pay a visit to his old school. Later Harry gave up banking and joined Leo in WA where they worked together on the land until the call to arms took Harry to the front. Being a man of fine physique, tall, muscular, and well developed, he looked every inch a soldier in his military uniform.

He called to SPC before leaving for the front to say good-bye to his old school and his old teachers. We felt as we parted with Harry that no braver soldier left Australia’s shores than he, and none who went forth from a higher sense of duty or with a higher purpose. We are sure he will do credit to his native land, and we hope he may be spared to visit once more the scenes of his boyhood -¦’

Service No:- 2013

Rank:- – Sergeant

Unit:- – 58th Battalion

Harrie Seward enlisted on 9 August 1915. He was 31 and a half years old, five feet, 11 inches tall, and had a fair complexion, grey eyes and brown hair. His occupation was farmer and grazier.

He embarked at Melbourne aboard the Ajana, arriving in England on 8 July 1916. Upon his arrival in the UK he marched in to the 15th Training Battalion Camp at Larkhill. In early February 1917 he proceeded overseas to France.

On 17 October 1917 he received a severe gunshot wound to his leg and head, and was shipped out to the Prince of Wales Hospital at Marylbone, London. By January 1918 he was prepared for a return to Australia where it was hoped a change would speed his recovery. On 30 January 1918, he boarded the Euripides and returned to Australia, where he was struck off strength due to his disability.

Harrie settled in Perth, and married in 1936. He died in 1958 at the age of 74, in Perth, WA.