Joseph ‘Joe’ Patrick Fogarty

June 23, 2015

FOGARTY, Joseph -‘Joe’ Patrick- – – – SPC 1900-1901


DoB:– – 24 December, 1887, at Hotham (North Melbourne)

Father:– – Thomas Fogarty

Mother:- – Cecilia, nee Cullen


Joe Fogarty was one of ten children, six boys and four girls, of the wealthy wine merchant and former Mayor of Hotham (North Melbourne), Thomas Fogarty.


Joe was a boarder from Melbourne along with two of his brothers, Andrew Christopher -‘Chris’ (SPC 1900-1903) and John (SPC 1900). Chris also enlisted in the AIF and was killed at Gallipoli in November 1915. John did not enlist.


While at St Patrick’s, Joe was a keen footballer and a member of the College 1st XVIII in 1900. He was lauded in a poem about the football team which appeared in the Annual; -‘-¦ -’tis now their turn, they rush the ball / our ground invade, we try to fall, / A mark is given, they try a kick, / but Fogarty is much too quick -¦’

Joe was Dux of the College in 1901, his Matriculation year. He passed in Latin, English, French, Geometry, Algebra, Arithmetic and Physics, and he was presented with a gold medal prize, by Rev F Ryan.


After his Matriculation, Joe played VFL football with South Melbourne, Essendon, and University for a total of 16 games.


He married Gladys Willshear (1890-“1979), at Brompton Oratory, in England, on 24 December 1916.


Service No:- –

Rank:– – Captain, later Major

Unit:- – Australian Army Medical Corps (AAMC) attached to 21st Battalion


Joe Fogarty enlisted on 20 March 1915 at the age of 27 years and 3 months. He was a tall man, at six feet, one and a half inches. He was unmarried, and his occupation was medical practitioner. He was appointed to the rank of Captain when he enlisted.


He left Australia on 8 May 1915 aboard the Ulysses, and proceeded to the Gallipoli Peninsula where he worked as a medical officer. He was on duty on 29 November 1915, when a fierce Turkish barrage of shells killed or wounded more than 120 Australian soldiers, including his brother Christopher. Such was the devastation that all that was left of Joe’s brother was his left foot, which he recognised because of a large bunion.


Captain Joe Fogarty remained at Gallipoli until December 1915, when the Anzac troops were all evacuated from Turkey at the end of that terrible campaign. Joe arrived at Alexandria, Egypt on 7 January 1916. He was assigned to the 21st Battalion. He then proceeded to France, arriving at Marseilles on 26 March 1916.


In August 1916, Captain Fogarty was transferred to the 6th Field Ambulance in France. He was awarded the Military Cross for service rendered during the fighting at Pozieres, where under heavy fire from 29th July to 2nd August he carried out his work for several hours in a mask, owing to a gas shell barrage being established near his Aid Post.




HIS MAJESTY THE KING has been graciously pleased to confer the Military Cross on the undermentioned officer in recognition of his gallantry and devotion to duty in the field : –




For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty under heavy fire from 29th July to 24th August, 1916 at Pozieres when he carried out his work as RMO among the wounded with utter disregard to his own personal safety.


For several hours he carried out his work in a mask owing to a gas shell barrage being established near his aid post. The wounded of both the 6th and 7th Brigades owe him a debt of gratitude for his untiring efforts on their behalf.’


While on leave to London in January 1917, Captain Fogarty was found to be unfit for General Service, although the reason for this was not stated in his file. He was declared fit for Home Service and prepared for posting to the AIF Depot in the UK for duty. In April he was promoted to the rank of Major, and attached to the hospital in Codford as the Senior Medical Officer.


In March 1919, (now) Major Fogarty was mentioned on the War Office List -“ he was brought to the notice of the British Secretary of State for War for valuable service rendered.




THE KING has been graciously pleased to give orders for the following promotion in and appointment to the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire in recognition of valuable services rendered in connexion with the war, to be dated 3rd June 1919 : –


To be Officer of the Military Division of the said Most Excellent Order : –




On 27 September 1919 Major Fogarty returned to Australia aboard the Osterley.


Joe resumed his medical career when he settled back in Australia. He and Gladys lived in the Melbourne suburb of Armadale. They had no children. Joe died on 28 June, 1954, aged 68 years, and was buried at the Melbourne General Cemetery in Carlton.