Junior School Report
May 21, 2020
I wish to start by acknowledging the collective effort, by students, parents and staff, that has occurred and will continue as we transition back to on-site learning and teaching. The co-operation, patience and grit displayed has reinforced to me that we are all more capable than we think, and you can always develop new skills and acquire knowledge regardless of your age or what base you are starting from. The lessons learned over the last two months certainly will make us all appreciate the simple things in life!
It has been wonderful to speak to a number of parents recently in regard to their son’s learning and how the household is coping. The patience and understanding from “home” has to no end supported and made our job easier. For complimentary emails to be sent to staff is significant as not all parent conversations are 100% positive. The relationships that have been forged between families, staff and the College in general during this time demonstrates what SPC is all about. Thank you for entrusting us with your son as we slowly move closer to returning to some normality.
The end of week 6 has brought some clarity around what the rest of Term 2 will look like for St Patrick’s and in particular from the Junior School’s perspective. In accordance with the State Government and Catholic Education Commission Victoria (CECV) our return dates are listed below. Please keep an eye out on the College’s website and Facebook page for official correspondence as well as your emails. There has been some change from previously advertised dates, so please take note.
Monday, May 25 – Student free day (whole staff planning day)
Tuesday, May 26 – Year 11 and 12 classes resume. Junior staff will be at school but teaching remotely to their students who are at home via “Teams”.
Monday, June 8 – Queen’s Birthday Long Weekend (College closed).
Tuesday, June 9 – Years 7-10 return to on-site learning and teaching.
Thursday, June 25 – Students last day of term, 3:25pm finish (was previously Friday, June 19.)
Friday, June 26 – Staff day (report writing etc.)
Monday, July 12 – Term 3 commences, all students and staff normal classes (this previously was a staff professional development day).
Upon your son returning please note
· Full winter uniform required (long pants). The College Shop is open but please observe social distancing etiquette.
· Spray jacket must be SPC, no Kathmandu etc.
· Hair neat and tidy and no piercings. Phone kept in locker.
· Canteen will not be open before school or recess, a “lunch” time ordering system is currently being developed (I would strongly encourage your son to bring his own food and drink bottle).
· Traditional bubble taps are no longer, water bottle refill stations have been put in place.
· Common sense needs to prevail, take social distancing seriously, listen to your teacher and continue to work hard.
· Enjoy and cherish the time to catch up with your mates!
In the meantime, continue to embrace the challenge of remote learning via Microsoft Teams and do not hesitate to contact the College if you have any questions.
Mr Gavin Webb
Director of Junior School