Laurence Francis Carmody
June 21, 2015
CARMODY, Laurence Francis- – – – – SPC 1906
DoB:– – 1893, Gheringhap, VIC
Father:– – Michael James Carmody
Mother:- – Mary Ellen, nee McNanhuy (?)
Laurence Carmody was a boarder from Murtoa, a town near Horsham. He was at St Patrick’s with his brother Thomas James Carmody (SPC 1906) who also enlisted for service in WWI (Service No 530).
Service No:– 6323
Rank:– – Gunner
Unit:– – 10th Battalion 4th FAB (Field Artillery Brigade)
Laurence signed up at Albert Park on 9th July 1915 at 21 years of age. He was a blacksmith and coach builder by trade. He was five feet seven and a quarter inches tall, with a fresh complexion, brown eyes and brown hair. He embarked at Melbourne on board the Wiltshire on 18 November 1915, bound for Alexandria and then Marseilles.
In early June 1916 while in the field in France, he suffered a gunshot wound to his right hand. This event was the subject of an enquiry resulting in a Field Court Martial on 19 June, the charge being, ‘Neglect being to the prejudice of good order and military discipline, ie, carelessly wounding himself’. He was found guilty and sentenced to 28 days FP (Field Punishment).
He must have experienced a fair bit of discomfort due to the gunshot wound, as he was admitted to the hospital ship Dieppe at Calais, which then returned him to England for treatment on his ankylosis finger. (This is a stiffness of a joint due to abnormal adhesion and rigidity of the bones of the joint, often the result of injury or disease).
By 8 September 1916 he was taken on strength and returned to his unit in Etaples, France. He was granted furlough to England in late 1916, after which he returned again to France. In September 1917 he was wounded slightly in action, remaining at his post. However, on 25 September, Gunner Laurence Carmody was killed in action in Belgium.
He was buried in Bellewaarde Ridge Military Cemetery, about three miles east of Ypres. Later, he was re-interred at Birr Cross Roads Cemetery No 1, one and a half miles east south east of Ypres.
His belongings were returned to his father, and consisted of three handkerchiefs, a belt, a rosary and a razor.