Middle School Report
November 4, 2022
by Mr Michael Busscher, Director of the Middle School
This week, following our long weekend, we headed out with all of the Year 9s to complete our final camp Experience at The Grampians.
Our final camp experience saw the largest undertaking engaged by the College as we successfully transported, housed, fed and offered a myriad of outdoor experiences for the entire Year 9 Cohort for three days in the magnificent surroundings of Hall’s Gap and the Grampians. This is the only camp experience in which the whole year level is all present at the one time and in the same place. Here the boys were able to participate in a number of challenging experiences including a multiple array of hiking experiences, rock climbing, abseiling, mountain biking and canoeing. These experiences encouraged all of our boys to develop an appreciation and respect for the natural environment, increased their understanding of team work and resilience and ultimately continued to develop their leadership skills. Here is what some of our boys had to say as they reflected on their camp experience:
Did you find the camp challenging?
• Yes, I felt the hike was challenging, being in the major Mitchell, my legs and feet got very sore, but I pushed through and completed it alongside my mates.
• Yes, as the activities pushed you out of your comfort zone.
• I mainly found the camp challenging through the hike, which was a mental and physical challenge.
• Yes, because I did some activities that I had not done before like rock-climbing and abseiling on a real rock face.
• I found it challenging but very rewarding as I had a big fear of heights but conquered and did abseiling and all rock climbing
Overall, how would you assess the camp in terms of
• Offering many types of hikes
• Rock climbing and abseiling was pretty exhilarating
• Things never done before, liked the hike, was challenging. Delicious food as well
• Fun to just be outdoors with our mates and teachers
• Great fitness opportunity through the different hike options
• Great opportunity to show leadership and independence
• Pushing through when the hikes got tough and our feet got sore, but the sense of achievement at the end made it worth it
The Year 9 Examination period starting Monday, 14 November until Friday, 18 November which will be the final day in Year 9 for your son. The following two weeks will see your son transition into his 2023 Year 10 classes via our Headstart Program. Please click on the below link to view the 2022 Semester 2 Examination Table.
To continue my theme of final Examination preparation can I suggest the following:
Firstly, boys’, YOU must accept full responsibility for the preparation YOU must complete towards YOUR final Examinations. This preparation must begin in full earnest immediately. YOU must commit yourself to an increased level of effort and undivided dedication in every attempt to, not only improve upon YOUR Semester 2 results but also set a clear goal of achieving YOUR personal best. This can be achieved when you:
•Complete all set homework nightly.
•Synthesise class notes and complete any extension questions.
•Never waste time whilst in class or at home completing tasks.
•Keep up to date with all class work by setting completion deadlines for these activities.
•Follow your teacher’s directions explicitly and personally see your teachers for extra assistance regularly.
•BEGIN TO STUDY CONSISTENTLY.
KNOWLEDGE is POWER and therefore Middle School SUCCESS is very POWERFUL!