Old Boys in the News – November 2022
December 7, 2022
Our Old Boys have been busy, including:
- Fantastic news for our Old Collegian Aaron Cadman (SPC 2016-2020, PY2021) who was named the number one pick in the AFL National Draft last week and is on his way to the GWS Giants. The Darley youngster becomes the highest drafted Rebels player and to read more, click here, here, here and here
Fantastic news also for current Year 12 student James Van Es on his selection by the Saints with the 31st pick in the national draft. To read more, click here
- Congratulations to Simon Franklin (SPC 1987-92) who was awarded the Apprentice of the Year Award by the City of Brisbane for supporting, developing and mentoring participants of the Corporate Apprenticeship Program. This is the second year in a row that Simon has received this honour, well done Simon!
- Well done to Adam Liversage (SPC 1990-95) and the Woady Yaloak Football Netball Club, where he is club president, which have now become an affiliated club of the Ballarat Football Netball League. To read more, click here
- Look out for Ryan Luke (SPC 2001-06) who is moving to Beaufort in the Central Highlands FL to continue his playing career in 2023, to read more, click here while Aiden Domic (SPC 2012-17) is off to Buninyong from the Ballarat Swans. To read more, click here
- SPC’s Old Collegians player links with the AFL Tigers was further highlighted in this story here
Congratulations to two Old Collegians Bryan Thomas (SPC 1974-78, PY1979) and Drew Petrie (SPC 1995-2000) who were recently inducted into the Ballarat Sports Hall of Fame.
Bryan was a kayaker in the 1988 Olympic Games in Seoul, finishing fourth in the K4 1000m event and was a regular at Australian championships leading up to his Olympic selection, winning multiple K4 titles. Bryan, who still lives in Ballarat, also competed in the 1987 world championships in Germany.
Meanwhile, Drew was a 300-game player with North Melbourne. Both were inducted as members and this was the Hall of Fame’s first induction ceremony since 2018. To read more, click here
Old Collegian Mark Banwell (SPC 1968-74) was on the election trail recently, running as an independent for Eureka in the 2022 state election. To read more, click here
- An artwork by the late Old Collegian Josh Muir (SPC 2004-07, PY2009) has been donated to the Art Gallery of Ballarat and is set to be included in a retrospective of the Old Boy’s work to be hosted by Koorie Heritage Trust in Melbourne next year. To read more, click here
A fabulous insight into the life of Old Collegian and Ballarat doctor Kiernan Halliburton (SPC 1964-70) who has reflected on his 45-year career in medicine upon his retirement in this story here
- It was great to welcome Old Collegian and former Victorian premier Steve Bracks AC (SPC 1968-71) back to Ballarat as guest speaker at the College’s 2022 MENtal Brekky in late October and to his 50-Year Class Reunion as well. Steve gave special insight into his family’s own mental health issues and spoke to the media about the changing face of mental health in this story here
- Great to see Lachie Whitehouse (SPC 2004-09) banding together with other local truck drivers as part of the “Trucksache” movement to highlight men’s mental health and help save lives. To read more, click here
Great to see Old Collegian David Canny (SPC 1980-85) elected unopposed as Australian Hotels Association president in recent weeks. David, owner of the Ballarat’s Red Lion Hotel and Victorian president of the AHA, says it is a privilege to be elected. David says labour and skills shortages will be one of his main priorities in his new role as national president, to read more, click here
- Old Collegian Jake Dunne (SPC 2005-10) has been appointed as the new senior coach for Learmonth in the Central Highlands FL after three years with the Ballarat Swans in the BFNL, to read more, click here
- With news of the recent signing of Old Collegian Jacob Hopper (SPC 2014-15) to the AFL Tigers next season, the club was soon spruiking its penchant for signing up SPC footballers, with Jacob becoming the 20th Paddy boy to join the ambush of Tigers at Punt Road. To find out who else has joined the Tiges from SPC, read more here
- Well done to Old Collegian Chad Peterkin (SPC 2014-17, PY2019) who finished second in the national open sheaf tossing championship in Tasmania recently. Chad was only 0.5m behind the winner, his father Andrew, who won with a throw of 3.75 metres, an impressive result for the Warrenheip family members. To read more, click here
- Old Collegian Steve Moneghetti (SPC 1975-80) was naturally pleased as punch to hear Ballarat has clinched the Commonwealth Games marathon event in 2026, with all eyes looking at our city streets in this story here
If you have any news on our Old Collegians, please contact Alumni and Foundation Officer Lorrie Liston via email at email@example.com