Old Boys in the News – September 2021
September 17, 2021
Our Old Boys have been busy, including:
- Great to see James Zentveld (SPC 2015-20) and his family ensuring they are vaccinated against COVID-19 in this story here
Cr Tom Sullivan (SPC 1965-68, PY1970), mayor of the Moorabool shire, is urging his residents to act as if they are in Ballarat’s lockdown and to be alert and stay away from hotspots if they can following the announcement of positive COVID cases in the city in this story here and here and here
- Congratulations to John O’Brien (SPC 1978-79) whose Rebellion Brewing business has taken home the gong for the world’s best gluten-free beer from the World Beer Awards. What a fabulous achievement. Well done John! Read the story here
- Local snake wrangler Jules Farquhar (SPC 2007-11, PY2012) is urging the public to be aware for snakes as they start to emerge from their winter rest in this story here
- Great to see Old Boys Brenton Payne (SPC 2010-14) and Nick O’Brien (SPC 2006-11) named in the Herald Sun’s best 150 footballers in metro local footy in this story here
- Great to see former school principal Brendan Maher (SPC 1971-76) reaching out to VCE students impacted by the ongoing pandemic during their final year of secondary education, in this story here
- Old Boy Rex Hickman (SPC 2003-08) looks set to play with Bacchus Marsh in the Ballarat FNL next season after crossing from the Mallee Eagles in the Central Murray FNL, while young gun Jack Parente (SPC 2014-19) looks set to stay with the Cobras. Read more in this story here
- Great to see Old Collegian Neil Jens (SPC 1965-66, PY1970) involved in the construction of new social housing townhouses in Delacombe in his role as chair of the Centacare Housing Services, read more in this story here
- Brendan Howard (SPC 2001-06) and Mitch Jenkins (SPC 2001-06) have been re-signed as Beaufort’s co-coaches for next season in the Central Highlands FL in this story here
- Congratulations to James Herbertson (SPC 2013-17, PY2018) who has won the Harness Racing Victoria 2019/2020 Concession Drivers Premiership. The presentations have been delayed due to ongoing pandemic restrictions. James is also currently sitting in second position for this year’s premiership, according to his mum Jody. In the same 2019/20 season, James was also successful with premiership winners for Horsham, Maryborough, Boort and Stawell clubs. James is on the cusp of losing his junior concession claim and becoming a senior professional freelance reinsman. Well done James!
Fantastic to see Brooke Brown (former staff) appointed as the GWV Rebels Regional Talent Operations Lead for the 2022 NAB League season in this story here
- AHA Victorian president David Canny (SPC 1980-85) talks about ongoing implications for hoteliers of the pandemic restrictions in this story here and here
Show your support to Old Boy Louis Powlett (SPC 2009-14), co-owner of Ballarat CBD bar Renard, which was forced into lockdown two weeks after opening and has never operated outside some form of COVID restrictions since. Read more in this story here
- Great to see Steve Moneghetti (SPC 1975-80) and others opening up about their struggles and what helped them through hard times in the recent online forum, After Dark: getting to the brighter side of mental health challenges, read more by clicking here
- Great to see Matt Crouch (SPC 2008-13) committing to a two-year extension with the Adelaide Crows. The 26-year-old has played 125 games with the Crows since joining with the 23rd pick in the 2013 draft, read more here
- Congratulations to Bailey Van De Heuvel (SPC 2011-16) and Cooper Craig-Peters (SPC 2014-19), who were in Footscray’s minor premiership winning squad this year. The Bulldogs were awarded the minor premiership after the VFL cancelled its men’s season due to the ongoing COVID pandemic. To read more, click here
- Great to see Ballarat architect and Old Collegian Nathan Porter (SPC 1992-97) will be involved in the redevelopment of the Ballarat Library in this story here
Great to see Old Boys Chris Garland (SPC 1999-2004) and Leigh Searle (SPC 1994-99) out celebrating Father’s Day with their families in this story here
- We hope our Old Collegian dads were spoilt this Father’s Day, and even better, were gifted Father’s Day treats helping our many Old Collegian businesses, such as Dan Cronin’s (SPC 1986-90, PY1991) The Western Hotel, in this story here
- We send birthday wishes to Br Jim Ward (SPC 1945-47) who celebrated his 90th birthday milestone on September 2.
- Peter Zala (SPC 1959-64), chairman of the Royal South Street Society, talks about the impact of COVID on the prestigious event in these stories here and here and here
- Great to see Newlyn coach Chris Banwell (SPC 1999-2004) has signed on to lead the Cats in the 2022 Central Highlands FL season in this story here
- Great to see Old Boy Nick Pearce’s (SPC 1994-99) new video game, launched worldwide recently and called “The Forgotten City” is receiving great reviews from the experts , click here. The College caught up with Nick as he was preparing for the big launch of his game, set in ancient Rome, back in June, click here
- Motel inn operator Tim Canny (SPC 1995-2000) is encouraging employers in Ballarat’s hardest pandemic-hit industries to encourage staff to get fully vaccinated in the hope that the hospitality and accommodation industry can safely reopen. To read more, click here. Tim also spoke candidly about stress that business owners have encountered during the ongoing COVID pandemic in this story here
- Great to see building director Steve Allen (SPC 1997-2002) leading the way in helping employees to get vaccinated in this story here
- We highlight the generosity of Old Collegian and Mt Mercer grazier Denis Banks (SPC 1977, PY1979) who recently sold 10 lambs to benefit cancer research, with the pen raising just over $8000 for Ballarat’s Fiona Elsey Cancer Research Institute. Well done Denis!
- Old Collegian and Ballarat Lyric Theatre president Michael Whitehead (SPC 1968-71) expresses his disappointment about the sudden postponement of their hugely popular stage production, We Will Rock You, due to the ongoing COVID lockdowns and restrictions. However Michael is adamant that the show will return to the stage in early 2022, click to read the story here
- Sam Willian (SPC 2008-13) has confirmed he will continue to co-coach Skipton in the Central Highlands league in 2022, with the club reaching its second consecutive senior footy finals this season, read more here
- Old Boy Ryan Waight (SPC 1998-2003) has also re-signed as Bungaree’s senior coach for the 2022 Central Highlands season. The club finished ninth, but Ryan says he’s excited to lead a young, up and coming side next season, read more here
- Brothers Will (SPC 2014-19) and Mitch Henderson (SPC 2011-15, PY2016), Brayden Leonard (SPC 2010-15), Lachlan Taylor (SPC 2015-2020), Aidan Murphy (SPC 2013-18),Riley Adams (SPC 2008-13), Khyle Ford (SPC 2011-16), Baiden Cracknell (SPC 2011-16) and Lleyton Pigott (SPC 2012-16) gain a mention for Dunnstown in this story here
- Current Ballarat Miner and two-time NBL champion Sam Short (SPC 2011-16) talks about the impacts he endured after testing positive for the COVID-19 virus last year in this great story and video chat with fellow Old Boy Ollie Nash (SPC 2011-16) here
- Congratulations to former boarder Rod Vodusek (SPC 1982-86) who achieved what is thought to be a national record recently for selling pregnant ewes during auction for a whopping $1015. Read Rod’s reaction in this story here Incidentally, some of our Old Boys may remember the College had a rowing boat named the “Vodusek” in the 1990s.
- Congratulations to Chris Jones (SPC 1988-93) at Showbiz Cinemas, Chris Packer (SPC 1978-83) at Chris Packer & Associates and Paul Tudorovic (SPC 1983-88) at The Athlete’s Foot, which have been announced as finalists in this year’s Federation Business School Commerce Ballarat Business Excellence Awards for the Customer Service Award.
Great to see Integra’s Matt Agterhuis (SPC 1987-92) support of the Fiona Elsey Cancer Research Institute as a major sponsor of one of its biggest fundraisers, the FECRI Cancer Research Balll at the Civic Hall on September 4. To read more, click here
- Great to see Ballarat’s current senior coach Joe Carmody (SPC 1992-97) has signed on to lead the Swans for a further two season, taking him through to at least the end of the 2023 season. Great to see captain Sam James (SPC 2008-13) will continue at the club in 2022 along with Bailey Van De Heuvel (SPC 2011-16) and Will Garner (SPC 2011-16) and former Hawks spearhead Josh Gibson. To read more, click here
If you have any news on our Old Collegians, please contact Alumni and Foundation Officer Lorrie Liston via email at email@example.com