Reginald Thomas Franklin

June 23, 2015

FRANKLIN, Reginald Thomas- – – – SPC 1904-1906

DoB:- – 1891, Goulburn, NSW

Father:– – James Thomas Franklin

Mother:- – Alice M

Reg Franklin was a boarder at St Patrick’s.

Service No:- – 6518

Rank:– – Private, later Corporal, later Sergeant, later Lieutenant

Unit:- – 28th Battalion

Reginald Thomas Franklin enlisted on 27 March 1916 in Perth, WA. He was 24 years and 11 months of age, five feet eight inches tall, with a fair complexion, blue eyes and dark brown hair. He was a builder and contractor by profession.

While undergoing training in Western Australia prior to overseas service, Private Franklin was promoted firstly to the rank of Corporal, and then to Sergeant. He embarked at Fremantle on 29 January 1917 aboard the Miltiades, and arrived in England on 27 March.

In July he was reduced in rank, back to Private, prior to proceeding overseas to Havre. In France he joined the 28th Battalion, and was promoted to Corporal. On 20 September 1917, Corporal Franklin was wounded in action, suffering a severe gunshot wound to his left arm. He was evacuated from France and admitted to the 5th Southern General Hospital in Portsmouth for treatment.

While still in England, in late November 1917, he was charged with the offence in Westminster, of -‘neglecting to obey AIF Headquarters orders 719 para 3’, at the Railway Station. (Unfortunately, no details about what he did were in his file). He was awarded a severe reprimand by Lt Col G H Knox.

In early December 1917, Corporal Franklin was transferred back to his unit in France. After a brief time in France, he proceeded back to England to join other officers in a Cadet Battalion. He was promoted to the rank of Sergeant, and in November 1918 proceeded overseas to France and Belgium. Over the next six months, he had some moments of respite from active duty, with a brief period of leave to Brussels in March, and then to the UK in May 1919.

He was promoted to the rank of Lieutenant on 13 February 1919. In March he returned from France and reported to AIF Headquarters in London in preparation for his return to Australia. On 8 May 1919, Lieutenant Franklin embarked on the Somali to return home.

Reginald Franklin settled in Fremantle, WA. He married in 1921, but the College could not find his wife’s name. On 4 April, 1976 Reginald Thomas Franklin died at the age of 85 in Fremantle, WA. He was buried at the East Fremantle Cemetery, WA.