Statement regarding Archbishop Frank Little
December 5, 2017
St Patrick’s College, Ballarat will today remove the name of Old Collegian and former Archbishop of Melbourne Sir Thomas Francis (Frank) Little from a building which had been named in his honour and revoke his status as an inducted Legend of the College.
These actions have been taken in response to yesterday’s findings into Case Study 35 of the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse which found that Archbishop Little had -abjectly failed to exercise proper care for the children within the Archdiocese’s parishes and schools-.
The findings also found that the abuse of some children in the Archdiocese -was directly attributable to Archbishop Little’s ongoing failure to take action-.
Headmaster John Crowley said the College aimed to role model the highest possible standards of behaviour to students entrusted to its care.
-The findings demonstrate that Archbishop Little’s behaviours do not meet these expectations,- Mr Crowley said.
-As such we are now acting in accordance with our joint statement issued in conjunction with Edmund Rice Education Australia (EREA) in December 2016.
-This statement specifically identifies unacceptable behaviours which do not align with our expectations around child protection.
-The College hopes to role model, at every opportunity, responses that embody our child protection expectations and obligations in support of our mission of raising fine boys to the status of great men.-
Following today’s release of the findings into Case Study 28 into the Catholic Church authorities in Ballarat, the College expects to make further statements in the near future.